Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A big hairy family

Oh well, the "blank sheet panic" is gone. I'm starting to find it funny to have a blog. :o)

I always had animals. They are part of my life and I could hardly live without them, if you want to live with me you have to like animals, no choice.

When wePenny and Minou moved here we had only two cats, two sweet sisters to be more precise, Minou and Messner, Christmas gift and bequeath of a two-months cohabitation with my bf's uncle. In spite of her name, Messner is a "girl", my bf's uncle stated he would have named a cat "Messner" whatever sex it would have been, and so he did.

About six months after we moved, we found a litter of four little kittens about one month old. A car ran down their mother, an alley cat, so the kittens remained alone. We gave two of them for adoption and kept with us the other two. We named them Penelope and Beo(wulf). The little Penny was "adopted" by Minou, and Beo teamed with Messner.
We think Penny is a sort of "autistic" cat: she spent all the first month hidden under the heater and it took us almost three years to be able to pet her, and only in sites she believes are "safe". Beo is the classic fatty, stupid male cat, sticky like glue...and I love it! :o)

The first of the two bunnies came a couple of years later. We bought her for a few euros only a week before she was going to be returned to the breeder: after three months spent in the shop window she was grown too much to be sold at a normal market price. She' s a lionhead rabbit, and she's the most diabolic creature living in our house. ;o) We named her Niglietta. Her partner is a little, stressed and restless white rabbit, adopted three years later, named Bianconiglio. Do you remember the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland? "Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be too late!" ...that is, Bianconiglio is the White Rabbit. And that's not all. It is a super-jumping rabbit! When we rescued it, the old (bad...) owners told us that it was a very shy and depressed rabbit. It was having a bad sore hocks on its back feet, so it was jumping and walking with some problem. Due to its poor conditions we arranged a sit in our bedroom, the most quiet place available in our house...two hours later, the very depressed rabbit was lying down and peaceful sleeping on my bf's pillow, reached by a glorious two feet jump! Can you believe it? It's not a normal rabbit, it doesn't sleep at the ground level, it has his personal dwelling on a bookcase shelf!

The guinea pigs are the icing on the cake.
I haven't said yet that we think animals should not be caged at all. It is obvious when talking about cats, but it seems less obvious when you see a little squeaking guinea pigs herd walking on the living room floor.
Guinea pigs are funny creatures, a little bit annoying when they are hungry..but they are so sweet and comic you could fall in love with them. We have 6 guinea pig: Buffy, Berta, Pig Pen, Sally, Violet and Topona. All of them are adopted, some from a local charity. Buffy and Berta are the older ones, they are two 7 years old sisters. Pig Pen was rescued from a lab and Sally, Violet and Topona were rescued from a public park where people are used to abandon their unwanted pets...really sad.
Guinea pigs and rabbits are quite expensive animals, as they have to eat a lot of fresh veggies, but I like thinking they can live happy, healthy and safe here. I love watching them sleeping on a bunch of fresh hay!

So, this is our family, you can now understand why I'm constantly fighting with hair!

9 comments:

Kreativlink said...

I loved reading this story and seeing all those cute members of your family!
Wish I could come for a visit and pet them all! :)

Anonymous said...

Animals are just so much fun to hang out with. As soon as we gave more space some more animals will be entering our clan.

glasfaden said...

What a cute hairy family sou have!!! I adore you for the guinea pigs & rabbits - I had 3 guinea pigs and 1 rabbit myself before! And my son would adore you for the cats :D

PA said...

oh - they all sound lovely - particularly the cats (being a cat fanatic!) the first picture is so sweet! I enjoyed reading this very much :)

StaroftheEast said...

:) I'm now not so ashamed to say we have 15 dogs :) so I completaly understand you when you say: Who want to lives with me has to life with my animals :) and the constant cleaning of hair ofcourse'... Looks like you have a big lovely hairy family. wishing you all the happyness :D

Anonymous said...

Their so cute together! I used to have two cats, but their not alive anymore, unfortuantely, they both ad a caraccident. But cats are still my favorites one!

X by Leina Neima said...

Your hairy family is so sweet! Lovely and happy story for starting the day...

Mitsy / ArtMind said...

Great family you have! Soft and furry friends - I love that! :)

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to read about all your little family members.
My 2 house rabbits have the run of the whole house as well, nothing better than being followed around by small furry legs.
In your case I can just see the 24 tiny guinea pig legs!